Two years after being shot in the head at point blank range, former Paraguay international Salvador Cabañas is set to make a sensational return to football, joining the club with whom his career began, 12 de Octubre.
“This club was always his home,” President of the Paraguayan third division outfit, Luis Salinas, told ABC Paraguay.
“Thank god, the doctors released Salvador to play football again and so he will return to his hometown club… I always said that when he comes back to football our doors would be open.”
Cabañas has been out of the game since the shooting in a Mexico City bar almost two years ago to the day while a player of Mexican club, America.
The 31-year-old was training with Paraguayan giants Libertad last year though a full-time return to football looked unlikely, with the bullet remaining lodged in the player’s head. However, he has now reportedly been given the all clear to return to the game.
“This afternoon Salvador told me: 'I have really wanted to go back',” added Salinas.
Neurosurgeon Ernesto Martínez Duhart, who saved Cabanas’ life in January 2010 admitted he wasn’t surprised by the news, telling Mediotiempo “He can do anything he wants.”
"He's going to play in the second division with his hometown club and tomorrow (Friday) he will be presented," said Cabañas' wife, Maria Alonso Mena. "He is very happy, this is the goal he has been fighting for."